A traditional Tasting Spaghetti Sauce without Tomatoes
Can’t eat tomatoes? If you’re missing the taste of a good ol’ bowl of spaghetti then this recipe is right up your alley!
My family was shocked that this recipe contains zero tomatoes. This sauce uses roasted red bell peppers and it’s sure to wow your taste buds.
How to Make Tomato Free Spaghetti Sauce
We start off this recipe by cutting tops off bell peppers and removing seeds. We then brush the outside of the peppers with oil to help it get it nice and roasted. We want those nice black char spots and the peppers to get soft.
Now it’s time to blend these up with some seasonings! We LOVE our food processor available on Amazon.
We have some yummy looking sauce now!
We’re ready to cook our onions and meat then add the sauce.
This recipe calls for cashew cream (optional) as well. This mimics adding cheese to the sauce. You can leave that out or make cashew cream.
Yum! We just made some great spaghetti without using tomatoes!
No Tomato Spaghetti Sauce
- Food Processor or Blender
For the Sauce
- 4 large red bell peppers
- extra virgin olive oil for brushing on peppers
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow or white onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 1/4 cup
- water if sauce gets too thick while cooking
- spaghetti noodles cooked and drained
Make the Sauce
- Wash and dry red bell peppers. cut off tops and remove seeds.
- Brush outside of peppers with olive oil and place on a foil lined baking sheet. Broil for about 10-15 minutes (flipping once) or until skins have black charred spots and peppers are soft. (You may also use a BBQ grill to do this instead).
- Place red peppers in a food processor or blender with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to your liking. and blend on high until sauce is your desired consistency.
Make the Spaghetti
- In a large skillet, heat up the 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium high heat. Add onions and saute until soft.
- Add ground beef and garlic. Cook until beef is browned. Drain grease.
- Add the red bell pepper sauce and the optional cashew cream (this gives is a creamy texture as if you added cheese to the sauce without using dairy).
- Heat the sauce until it reaches a simmer, reduce heat. If sauce is too thick (sometimes happens when you add cashew cream), add water 1/4 cup at a time until it reaches the desired consistency. Simmer for about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve over noodles.
Looking for more tomato free recipes? Try our Stuffed Pepper Boats without Tomatoes!