When sweet potatoes are in season, they are IN SEASON! We always end with up with so many. We cook, roast, mash, and can them. Honestly, what don’t we do with them?
Lunch time approaches. “What’s for lunch, mom?” my kids ask. I stare at the sweet potatoes. I just know my kids are over them. They’ve been eating them daily in every way possible. I’m scared to even suggest it at this point out of fear of getting that ‘Care Bear stare’ look from them all.
Light bulb moment! Time to get creative and put them where they’d least expect it (maniacal laugh). In a delicious, cheesy quesadilla (mouth waters).
This is a healthier alternative to regular quesadillas, but that doesn’t mean this delicious quesadilla isn’t cheesy or packed full of flavor!
This a great pairing of roasted sweet potatoes, jalapeños and arugula. And ready in just 20 minutes…
Sweet Potato Quesadillas
- 1 white sweet potato sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 jalapeño seeded and diced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups arugula
- 4 whole wheat soft taco tortillas 8 inch
- cilantro (topping) optional
- green onions (topping) optional
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss sweet potatoes in olive oil and place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Season with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. Roast for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender when middle is pierced with a fork.
- Layer each of the ingredients on half of each tortilla: cheese, jalapeño, sweet potato, cheese, arugula. Fold tortilla in half.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet, sprayed with cooking spray, over medium heat. Cook each quesadilla for 2 -3 minutes on each side, or until cheese is melted.
- Top with chopped cilantro or sliced green onions, or both!